Thursday, September 3, 2009

I'm going to talk about a little thing called a Lady Cup


Cute, right? So on my quest to being green I stumbled on to some amazing boards. Recycling, baby wearing, BPA free, organic, homeschooling...then I heard words like Diva Cup and Lady Cup....and just like cloth pads, I was curious. I read on. I was intrigued. I was fascinated. I had to have one!

This little beauty is called a reusable menstrual cup. You can say "ew" now, because I did at first! It really is genius though! For those of you interested in reducing your carbon footprint even more, get one.

When I got mine, I thought it looked so...scary, and BIG. I thought there was no way that was going in there haha! But it did and for once my period was pleasant!! I didn't get nearly as many cramps as I usually do at all. Maybe it was mental, but I like to think it was because of this product. I've always been an avid tampon user and I honestly think those things were causing me hell.

To learn more about possible pesticides in tampons:

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/chemicals-tampons

Anyways, here are the things in particular that I love about this product:

1) This will run you $35.60 from the manufacturer, but it's lifetime is up to 15 years! No buying anything else!
2) Unlike tampons, you only have to empty this every 12 hours! You literally forget it's there.
3) Comfort! I couldn't feel it at all once it was in there. I did have to trim the stem a little because it was poking me, but the instructions tell you how to do that.
4) Like I said before, no cramps!
5) I dont have to carry anything with me!
6) I feel good about not adding to landfills. People think about diapers, but I don't know many women who think about pads and tampons in landfills. They take up a huge percentage!

In the US alone, there are over 85 million women of menstruating age, and according to the National Women's Health Network, they contribute approximately twelve billion pads and 7 million tampons to landfills each year.

7) I love that it comes with a cute bag to store it in when you aren't using it and you can even get different colored cups!

A couple of things to remember:

This puppy works by suction. They are made out of liquid silicone rubber so they are easy to fold. You fold it in half and then fold it again to make a "c". Then you pop it in there. It doesn't have to go all the way up there like a tampon, just basically insert until you can't see it sticking out anymore. You may need to trim the stem to suit your body, but that's it. Once it's in there you may have to give it a little twist so your "c" that you made pops open. Once it does, you're good to go. It suctions itself in there so there is no leaking at all!

They come in 2 sizes. Size small and a size large. The size small is for if you have never had a baby and are under 25, and the size large is for women who have had a baby or who are over age 25. I got a large because I read that it didn't matter if you had given birth vaginally, only that you had had a baby. I thought this was weird and hoped it would work out, and it did. Mine fits perfectly. If you get a size that is the wrong fit, you can send it back and they will send you the other size.

They recommend you boil it at the end of every cycle, and I would have to say I agree. It just keeps it clean and sterile. During your period you can just empty it and then rinse with water and non scented soap before reinserting. You can also buy their own sterilizing tablets.

It's really easy and personally I think it's cute but I don't find these things weird! haha.

To check out their website, go here:

http://www.ladycup.eu/Default.aspx?tabid=36

There is also going to be a button on my blog going up as soon as I post this, so you can click it to go to their website.

Oh yah! If you want to calculate how much money you are throwing away on disposable products, go here:

http://www.menstruation.com.au/menstrualproducts/padcalc.html

I found this to be so amazing and informative!

No comments :

Post a Comment