Monday, April 19, 2010

Eco Nursery Tips

Welcoming a baby into your family is one of the most thrilling experiences of your life. I remember getting so excited to decorate and get things just perfect for my little ones to arrive. I wish I would have known then what I know now. Any and all future nurseries will be green for us and here are some tips to help yours be a little bit greener as well!



1) Use low or no VOC paint. What is a VOC? A Volatile Organic Chemical. Nasty stuff guys! Chose better options for your nursery(and your whole house for that matter!). I also recommend choosing Earth tones for your green nurseries, but that is my style choice! Companies that are making low or no VOC paints include:

Benjamin Moore
BioShield Paints
Devoe Paint
Kelly Moore
Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company - My fave!!

And several others!


2) Choose non-toxic carpeting and throw rugs or use bamboo or cork flooring! These options are safe for your whole family and great for the Earth!


3) Purchase refurbished furniture or update any old furniture you have. You can buy new handles and knobs that will update dressers for just a few dollars and you wont be filling landfills with old furniture just to buy new! Also, choose a non-toxic crib mattress for your little one's crib!


4) Use energy savings lights and light bulbs in your nursery, as well as a dimmer switch. Not only will using a dimmer help the Earth, but it will help you keep a calm nursey for your little bundle!


5) Stock your nursery shelves with cloth diapers and wipes, organic clothing and non-toxic toys! I always pick organic baby washes for my little one's skin as well!


I hope these eco-nursery tips help you welcome your new babies and hopefully you will use some of these throughout your whole house!

No comments :

Post a Comment