Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Get Real: What Kind of World Are You Buying by Mara Rockliff



I haven't reviewed books on my blog, so when I was asked to review Mara Rockliff's new book Get Real: What Kind of World Are You Buying?, I was thrilled! I love to read and I especially love to read books that could benefit my kids someday. You can bet your butt they are going to be reading this book! I am all about saving the Earth as best as I can. Am I perfect? No, but it's about the journey and everything I do, I think about. I try to teach my children this as well. Get Real: What Kind of World Are You Buying shoes teens how commercialized items they buy are. She shows them that the vast majority of those items are chemical-filled and horrible for your health. We aren't talking about cigarettes here. I'm taking about something as simple as a t-shirt or a cheeseburger.

Some of the topics in the book are:

- Advertising

- Cotton T-shirts

- How to Make a Chicken Nugget

- The Big Box Scam - Think Walmart!

- What's in Your Underwear!

- Really Good Chocolate

- Recycling

And MUCH More!

My favorite Chapter? Green Warriors vs Greenwashers!

This book is packed with the information that is TRUE. I think teenagers can handle the truth and every parent should read this book as well. The vast majority of people in this word have no clue about the things they buy. We need to help our children become socially conscious and Get Real helps them in this journey. This is the tool to help our children make a difference in this world.

Here is some information about the book:

GET REAL: What Kind of World Are You Buying?
By Mara Rockliff
Published by Running Press Teens
Publication Month - July 2010
Paperback Price - $10.95 (Such a steal!)

Like I said, every parent should read this and then do your kids a favor and hand it to them. They will thank you when they are healthy and not putting chemicals in their bodies day after day and the Earth will thank you too!

I'm not going to give it all away, but you know me and you know I'm a Planet Saver and this book hit home for me. I found myself nodding along and shaking my head with every turn of the page.

A HUGE thank you to Running Press for sending me her book to review. I love it and I can't wait for my little ones to read it. I dont think they are quite ready for this bedtime story, but they do know all about recycling!

Dislcaimer: I received free product to review. I was not paid to write this and all opinions are my own!


1 comment :

  1. This sounds like a book that anyone who cares about the state of our planet needs to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete