Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ice Pop Joy by Anni Daulter Book Review!





This review has been a long time coming and Anni has been wonderful waiting on me! I received an early copy of her newest book called Ice Pop Joy and our whole family is completely in love with it! I think most parents struggle with getting their kids to eat healthy, especially vegetables. With the wonderful recipes in Ice Pop Joy, I dont have to worry about my kids eating healthy! My little ones get a treat that is truly healthy and I can cross one more thing off my mom to do list!



This is one of the most beautiful recipe books I own. Seriously. The pictures are phenomenal and made me want to make each and every one. While we have yet to try them all, I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about a few of our favorite ice pop recipes. I also want to tell you all my favorite features of the book.




One of my absolute favorite sections in Ice Pop Joy is in the beginning of the book. It's called "Help, I Can't Get My Kids to Eat Anything Healthy!" and I think most moms go through this little freak out at one time or another. This section helps us all calm down and gives us truly helpful tips on starting over with the food choices we give our kids. My favorite tip:



Ask for their suggestions on creating a signature "veggie" pop that you name after them.



I adore this tip and my kids love getting creative in the kitchen. I think just letting them have an input in creating a treat is the main way to get them to eat goodies that are truly good for them! Such a genius idea, and yet, it's so easy to forget. We all get caught up in just getting things done quickly, but I've learned I get more done when I just let my kids pitch in. Thanks for the helpful reminder Anni!



There is also an entire section in the beginning all about alternative sweetners like honey, agave and coconut sugar! I have to admit, I hadn't used any of these items until we dived in to these recipes. I was always intimidated by them and didn't know how to use them correctly. If you have these same fears, look no further because Anni really spells it out for us! They aren't as intimidating as we think they are. I think we all tend to be initially intimidated by things that are different. No need to worry, Ice Pop Joy shows us how to substitute sugar for one of these babies!



Two of our favorite popsicles in this book are the Bluebird(made with blueberries, blackberries, pineapple, acai powder and coconut sugar) and the Rockstar(strawberries, raw agave nectar, raw kale, bluberries, bananas, and wheat germ). Both of these recipes allowed me to use ingredients I had been dying to try but never knew what to throw them in. They were incredibly easy to puree in my blender and then pour into our ice pop molds. We loved that these were substantial fruit bars, not just frozen water pops! You really get to bite into these and chew them. They filled my whole family up! A sweet treat and a hearty snack in one. I have never felt better about giving my little ones a popsicle!



I would have never in a million years thought to make any of these ice pops and we are truly thrilled to have this book in our house. We buy fresh produce every week and always take a peek in this book first to see what we need. I love knowing we can make our ice pop snacks at the beginning of the week and they are good to go!


The best part about owning this book is that we live in Tucson, AZ and will get use out of this bad boy all year round! Definitely a win for us!



Ever want to use tofu in an ice pop? How about chocolate? Grab a copy of Anni Daulter's Ice Pop Joy and get to work! You wont be disappointed! This book sells for $12.89 on Amazon.




I want to say a huge thank you to Anni for this fabulous review and for yet another wonderful book. Keep them coming! I'm so excited that my newest little one is going to get to enjoy all the wonderful recipes in Organically Raised and Ice Pop Joy!







Disclaimer: I was not paid to write this. I received free product to review, but all opinions are my own!









Please excuse the weird layout. I am still trying to figure out this new laptop and it is automatically doing wonky things I did not tell it to do!

No comments :

Post a Comment